Opening Doors Marin is a public-private coalition that aspires to end chronic and veteran homelessness in our community, by increasing housing options for the most vulnerable.
Our work complements the broader efforts for affordable and workforce housing.
We envision a balanced community with housing options for persons of all income levels.
We support and embrace the Housing First approach to ending homelessness, an evidence-based practice that has been proven to work here in Marin and across the Country. To date, we have housed 170 chronically homeless individuals in the last three years, and have a 93% retention rate.
- Increase housing opportunities for the most vulnerable in our community
- Work to end veteran and chronic homelessness in Marin while preserving the safety and beauty of our community
- Create alignment across a broad array of stakeholders across the County
- Educate the Marin community about successes to date with Housing First and our Collaboration
- Advocate to end homelessness in our community
- Identify new sources of funding for preserving and purchasing units of housing in Marin
What We Believe
- We can do more together than apart
- Housing First works
- It is possible to end homelessness
- The costs to house a person are approximately half the costs to the community of a person who is experiencing homelessness
How We Are Different From Other Housing Organizations
- Our focus is on chronic and veteran homelessness
- We represent a broad array of public and private stakeholders
- We are a pragmatic organization seeking real world achievable solutions to the challenges of homelessness